Since 2009 we have off-set all our vehicles’ carbon emissions by working out our fuel used and donating this money to the Tambourine Bush Volunteers. This hardworking group of people donate their free time every month planting trees and clearing weeds in rain-forest areas through the direction of the Queensland Parks and Wildlife Service. This valuable work keeps our hinterland rain-forests in top condition.
We had the option of going with a big carbon offsetting program but we wanted to be a little more proactive and have the money go towards the area we visit every day. TheTamborine Bush Volunteers have a small group that ensure this area that’s visited by many locals and international bush walkers is in the best condition it can be.
We are also members of the Tamborine Landcare Association and they are responsible for Tamborine Mountains Beautiful Botanical Gardens which we visit on our private tours.
Since March 2009, we have supported the Guide Dog Association by sponsoring a puppy in training. We, at Southern Cross 4WD, cater for a range of disabilities so give us a call. We don’t want you to miss out on this beautiful area!
Southern Cross 4WD was a runner up in the Biggest Carbon Loser Challenge in 2010.
All business’s have an obligation to do their best in relation to not just carbon emissions, but the environment.
Basic steps we have undertaken over the last 4 years include:
- Strict vehicle maintenance
- Installation of water tanks to catch rainwater for the washing of our vehicles
- Installation of insulation in office and home roof that has seen a considerable drop in electricity bills
- Solar panel installation in May 2010. Whilst we have just installed this we are still waiting to see the outcome and saving on the use of fossil fuels to run our electricity in South East Queensland
- Updating our vehicles: Our newest vehicle is one of the most advanced, environmentally friendly engines that come out of Germany. Its fuel use is over 35 % better than our older 4wds and better than many passenger vehicles and buses on our roads. Its seating capacity is 3 more than our current OKA’s, so the impact of this vehicle on the environment per person is greatly improved.
- Another added benefit of newer vehicles in relation to the scheduled maintenance is thereduced use of oils and consumables when servicing. Later model engines like in our new 4wd only need to be serviced every 30,000 kilometres. Some vehicles only 5 years old still need servicing between 5 and 10,000 kilometres.
We are an award winning, family run, Australian Tour company offering the best tours on the Gold Coast.Join us on a Day Tour and explore the Gold Coast and Hinterland in our luxury 4x4 Vehicles.
Still undecided? Look at what the others are saying, we're the #1 rated Gold Coast Tour Operator on Tripadvisor!
Steph, Darran, Royd and the boys look forward to seeing you soon!